[CentOS] Request info on managing MySQL

Sun Sep 21 03:16:08 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hello,

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 21:40, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> I don't know where to find the root
> password or any other tidbits needed to get started.

AFAIK, the MySQL server included on CentOS is configured to allow
access to user "root" from either localhost or the same hostname where
the server is running, and without a password.

If you have a shell on the machine where the MySQL server is running,
you should be able to connect to it with this command:

$ mysql -u root -h localhost

Please remember to set a password for the MySQL root user.
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h `hostname` password 'new-password'

Obviously using a real password where it says 'new-password' above.

> [...] on CentOS 4.7 box[1]. [...]
> [1] I know, I should upgrade but, as I mentioned, I'm a real lazy guy.

Well, you should upgrade only if you want to or if you need the new
features of the new versions of applications included in 5. CentOS 4.7
is updated and supported, and as long as you regularly update it with
yum you will get all the security updates until February 2012. See
here:
http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=42

HTH,
Filipe