[CentOS] RAID / OS Monitoring tools ?

Mon Sep 22 21:58:10 UTC 2008
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 at 5:53pm, Fred Kienker wrote

>> It's a dell 2900 :
>> quad core XEON (with a spare slot for a 2nd quad core chip)
>> 8G memory (expandable to 64G)
>> 8 hot swap SATA HD slots onboard
>> PERC6i RAID controller
*snip*
>> Now I want to be able to monitor the box, specifically with
>> respect to the RAID drives so I'll know if one has gone bad
>> and the RAID configuration has failed over to it. Anyone have
>> any suggestions for tools to use ?
>
> You need the Dell OMSA tools. They are easy to install and work great
> with CentOS. Google Dell and OMSA to find them. You can add the Dell
> repository to yum to make it even easier to install and maintain them.

If you're like me and generally hate vendor tools, I believe that Dell's
PERC controllers are rebadged LSIs.  LSI has a command line tool you can
use to monitor them.  MegaCli is more than just a bit obtuse, but a little
bit of scripting goes a long way.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin