[CentOS] usb irq problem

Wed Sep 24 12:09:45 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM, partha chowdhury <kira.laucas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> well i managed to fix the problem after an intensive search through the
>> forum and adding the noirqdebug option to the kernel line.
>>

> Are you /sure/ this fixes the problem?  Your last fix didn't work out
> so well, so I'm just curious, not criticizing....

>From what I've read I'm pretty confident it won't fix the
problem it only masks it

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/re18.html

By default, the kernel attempts to detect and disable unhandled
interrupt sources because they can cause problems with the
responsiveness of the rest of the kernel if left unchecked.
This option will disable this logic.

--

So it sounds like linux is saying the hardware is faulty and
is disabling it pro-actively before bad things can happen,

Replace the hardware, get better quality stuff. Since this
is USB, get a PCI USB expansion board see if that helps.
About a year ago I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card for one of
my older systems, was about $20 I think.

nate