[CentOS] DKIM

Wed Sep 24 20:03:28 UTC 2008
mouss <mouss at netoyen.net>

Andrew Norris wrote:
> Back to the PTR RR:
>
> $ dig +short MX bobhoffman.com
> 10 mail.bobhoffman.com.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> $ dig +short A mail.bobhoffman.com
> 72.35.68.59
> $ dig +short -x 72.35.68.59
> bobhoffman.com.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> mail.bobhoffman.com != bobhoffman.com

so what?
mail.bobhoffman.com is the MX. bobhoffman.com is an RMX.

$ host -t mx yahoo.com
yahoo.com mail is handled by 1 e.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
yahoo.com mail is handled by 1 f.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
yahoo.com mail is handled by 1 g.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
yahoo.com mail is handled by 1 a.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
yahoo.com mail is handled by 1 b.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
yahoo.com mail is handled by 1 c.mx.mail.yahoo.com.
yahoo.com mail is handled by 1 d.mx.mail.yahoo.com.

no one of these is web23004.mail.ird.yahoo.com, ...

> This may not be your main problem, but it certainly isn't helping
> matters.

If we ignore the surrounding IPs (too many without rDNS), he has a very
simple setup, that should not cause any problems.

> Yahoo seems to be pretty picky on reverse DNS.  I had a VPS
> running a mail server where the PTR matched the host.  I was relegated
> to yahoo's spam folder until changed from the default PTR which looked
> mildly like a dialup.

generic PTRs are a different matter.