[CentOS] DKIM

Wed Sep 24 21:06:04 UTC 2008
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Andrew Norris wrote:
> Back to the PTR RR:
>
> $ dig +short MX bobhoffman.com
> 10 mail.bobhoffman.com.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> $ dig +short A mail.bobhoffman.com
> 72.35.68.59
> $ dig +short -x 72.35.68.59
> bobhoffman.com.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> mail.bobhoffman.com != bobhoffman.com

So why should the MX for a domain have the same name as the mailout for a domain
has? And the name/ip of the mailout is what the receiving side sees.

> This may not be your main problem, but it certainly isn't helping
> matters.  Yahoo seems to be pretty picky on reverse DNS.  I had a VPS
> running a mail server where the PTR matched the host.  I was relegated
> to yahoo's spam folder until changed from the default PTR which looked
> mildly like a dialup.

That's something different (and still bad, but Yahoo is one of the gorillas who
can decide not to follow RFCs when receiving mails). But scoring mails down
because you don't like the hostname the PTR points to is plain bad and stupid.
At least they don't reject those mails.

I'd still like to see logs or headers of mails which have been put into
spam quarantine, because ALL people do here is GUESS what could go wrong and
give advice which makes my toe nails curl up. As long as he is adhering to RFCs
it's not him doing something wrong, it's Yahoo doing something wrong. But to
know that some evidence is needed.

Ralph