[CentOS] Update troubles for wxGTK apps

Thu Sep 25 01:03:30 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>
>>  John a écrit :
>> >
>> >   I do not and did not mean to be offensive to Dag, and I apologize if I
>> >   was--it just seemed like an issue that would be affecting a lot more
>> >   people
>> >   than just me and I wanted to see what others were doing about it.
>> >   So far I've not heard what that is.
>>
>>  I second that. Dag is doing great work, and for desktop users, CentOS
>>  wouldn't be the same without RPMForge. However, this update has been
>>  botched up. Existing systems can be left in the present state by putting
>>  an 'exclude=wxGTK amule vlc audacity' line in /etc/yum.conf. But when
>>  installing a new system, 'yum install vlc audacity' does not work. This is
>>  a worry for me, as I install desktop systems professionally, and I use
>>  both programs on client's desktops (yes, amule too, when the client wants
>>  it... :o)). As far as I'm concerned, I worked around it by simply
>>  rebuilding wxGTK (2.6), amule, vlc and audacity from SRPM and putting them
>>  in my own repo with a higher priority. This took the best part of an
>>  afternoon.
>>
>>  My suggestion to Dag (with all respect taken): why not create a
>>  [rf-testing] repo for the critical stuff, a bit like [kbsingh]?
>
> Because I have no time for it. It is as simple as that.
>
> And I prefer stop doing RPMforge than to spend more of my free time. rpmrepo
> was going to be RPMforge's successor (ATrpms, RPMforge, CentOS, all-in-one
> and community-based), but there is no progress there and that's why I am
> still here.
>
> Currently, what I build is what becomes available. Often there is a delay
> because I want to make the repo as consistent as can be, but if a single
> package is holding back too many other packages I prefer to break the repo (I
> am using apt, apt can handle dependency-issues with no problem).
>
> If someone want to step up and become a gatekeeper between a testing
> repository and a real rpmforge repository and shift the packages between, by
> all means do that and if it works, great. But I won't be doing that work and
> handle that complexity. I want to reduce the free time I spend maintaining
> packages I don't even use myself, not increase that time.
>
> In this case audacity does not build against wxGTK 2.8.8, at least not on my
> system and nobody offered any help so far. A compat-wxGTK could be the
> solution, although compat-packages have a tendency to break even more with
> other repositories (and sadly Fedora opted NOT to follow Mandriva's lead in
> sensible package-names for libraries).
>
> So that's the official word.
>
> PS No waranties implied. No refund :-/

BTW Let me add that RPMforge since 4 years or so is not just me. At
least Dries Verachtert and Fabian Arrotin do a lot of work in resp.
maintaining packages and building the PPC packages. And a handful of other
contributors maintain some packages. For a long time Matthias Saou was
heavily involved in a lot of desktop and multimedia applications.