[CentOS] Network installation from CD

Sun Sep 28 21:59:04 UTC 2008

Dag Wieers wrote:
> In a corporate environment we are not allowed to use DHCP/PXE for
> doing network installations. This means we have to look for other
> solutions. Our solution is to use an ISO image (mounted via a KVM
> solution) to kick off the network installation.
>
> A big problem currently is that the order of the network interfaces is
> arbitrary (depends on the order of the drivers loaded) and is not
> influence by the order of the PCI slots. So in our case we have a
> bunch of e1000, bnx2 and tg3 in systems we have to install.

Dag,

I ASSuME that different interfaces are plugged into different switch
ports on a switch supporting VLANs? Perhaps the same switch for all ports.

Can you set up those ports, so that for install, they are all on the
same VLAN? So it would not matter which interface is used for the
install, the IP address you assign it will work on it?

My home lab has a number of HP ProCurves, and I will get into the
management interface, and set which vlan a port is on if I need to do
some installs.