[CentOS] USB external HDD error messages

Mon Sep 29 14:38:18 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Guest wrote:

> Sorry to double up on your answer like this, but is there any chance that
> the i/o errors are due to a bad usb cable, or usb card in the main
> computer?  I didn't mention before that the external hdd that the seagate is
> replacing also reported a lot of i/o errors and kept disconnecting itself,
> which is why I replaced it....

Perhaps the drive is spinning down without informing the OS. I recall
an issue last year(?) about some USB drives not behaving properly
and spinning down without informing the OS, then the OS tries to
access them it gets an I/O error.

All of my 2.5" western digital external USB drives seem to behave
correctly when going into power save mode, have never had an I/O
error as a result of them spinning down.

nate