[CentOS] Shell script to list group members

Wed Sep 24 04:52:44 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org> wrote:

> The egrep is using a leading anchor (^) to make sure the grep matches the
> beginning of the line.  If not, and the group pattern matched as one of the
> users it would print those lines too .. which is probably undesirable.

Grep understands the '^', so egrep is not needed.  Typically, you only
need egrep for patterns that involve alternative re's, like looking
for one of "abc|def|ghi" which grep does not recognize.

Also, it might be helpful to trim your replies so we don't need to
wade through the whole thread to see your reply.

mhr