[CentOS] Don't forget to use torrents for your downloads!

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Apr 2 21:34:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 22:19 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Aren't these speeds a relative notion, ie. dependent on where you are as a
> > peer?
>
> yes, which is why I said all these machines were locaed inside hosting
> DC's - which normally have good connectivity. One on the East coast US,
> one on the West Coast, one in Germany, one in London and the rest coming
> on at diff places.
>
> What makes a major difference however is when there are a lot of people,
> even with lesser speeds, seeding at the same time.

Thinking of analogies, if one person throws a small stone at you, maybe
you get a small bruise at worst. If a thousand do it at the same time
you *die*, likely.

That is to say, thousands throwing packets your way all at once tend to
negate a single-point bottleneck existing between you and any specific
source off your ISPs network, if they tend to come from all different
directions (different remote networks). 'Course if you live on a nasty
cable provider (we'll leave them unnamed here) who feels it right to
throttle you based on various usage statistics, you may only get hit by
a few stones at once.

--
Bill