[CentOS] 5.3 Update Success

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:43:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com> wrote:

> Greetings CentOS Team-
>
> Since the list tends to be filled with "things don't work" and "why did you
> do it this way" and "complaint X", I thought I'd make a small deviation...
>
> I have a production system running on a Dell Poweredge 2650 server. I
> simply ran 'yum update' and rebooted with no problems. Everything continues
> to work as rock solid as before.
>
> So, I just wanted to say 'Thank You' to all those who put in such hard work
> into the CentOS project. The time between releases was not a problem here.
> If it was, I guess I'd just ask for a refund. :-)
>
> --Tim

Had I yum updated on my desktop computer I believe everything would have
been fine (as it was on my laptop). But I tried the Update path from the DVD
first, without doing any preparation or reading and, though it booted fine,
a lot of my programs failed -- even Firefox until I ran yum update.
Fortunately I had backed everything up -- and I had a couple issues that
made a clean install a good idea anyhow. The clean install went flawlessly.

Only thing... I tried to like the new wallpaper, but eventually Googled and
found the old version. I just like the plain CentOS 5 wallpaper better.
(Yeah, I'm bland.)

Thanks to everyone.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3