[CentOS] filesystem rpm fails when /home is NFS mounted

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Fri Apr 3 04:11:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:

>> It seems Paul and I are the last two users of NFS mounted
>> /home left.
>>
> I have /home exported and ran the upgrade from this laptop over the network,
> where that directory is mounted and displayed in a folderview under KDE4.  I
> had no problems whatsoever.  Is this the sort of situation you mean?

yup -- exports to another would not be affected by
root_squash.

To some degree, the fact that upstream did not detect the
issue, and I missed it in testing, was a wry observation that
the 'old ways' of a common set of /home/ exported from a very
reliably 'up' box through an office, is passing away.

The takeaway was that I need to 'test as I do, and do as I
test'.  My testing regime will have to include 'cloning' a
test box, and simply 'moving into it' for an afternoon when
doing 'updates' QA testing.

-- Russ herrold