[CentOS] Bug in yum Logwatch reporting

Brett Serkez

bserkez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:31:18 UTC 2009

I've been noticing yum updates on several servers I manage over the
last few weeks, which I know I didn't perform and could not explain
until this morning.  At first I suspect a break-in, but found no other
evidence or reason an intruder would run the yum updates I was
viewing.

Yum updates are logged in /var/log/yum.log, which is what Logwatch
scans.  Seems that the format of the log entries is: "MMM DD", the
year is missing!   This morning looking at this log sequentially I
noticed I did do yum updates on Apr 02 and Apr 03 as reported in last
night's logwatch, but not April of 2009, but rather April of 2008!

Has anyone else noticed this behavior and/or know if there is a fix in
progress for it?

Brett