[CentOS] Install CentOS directly from usb drive?

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Fri Apr 3 18:32:56 UTC 2009

Tosh:

> 1) make the first partition active
> 	fdisk /dev/sd[c]1 then a, 1 and w to write and quit

I did this.

> 2) format the usb stick with fat or ext3

I formatted it using mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc1

> 	(b) ext3 : you will need to use extlinux work on the stick
> 		extlinux /dev/sd[c]1

I mounted the drive and did
extlinux /media/disk

> 4) I extract the isolinux folder from the dvd iso

I copied all the files from
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/x86_64/isolinux/
to the root directory of the usb drive.

> 5) rename all isolinux to (a) syslinux - (b) extlinux

I renamed the isolinux.bin to extlinux.bin
and isolinux.cfg to extlinux.cfg

> 6) copy the dvd/cd iso(s) to your stick

I copied the iso to the root directory of the usb drive.

> 7) normally you should get the same boot loader as when you
> would pop in
> the cd/dvd, centos install will start loading necessary
> drivers and then
> you will have to chose hard disk install and point to the drive where
> your dvd/cd iso(s) are

I tried to boot off the usb drive and I get a message that
it could not boot the operating system.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
	Neil

Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.