[CentOS] Having trouble installing flash player on centos 5.3 desktop machine

Linda Stark nadsab1 at live.com
Sat Apr 4 18:04:59 UTC 2009

> Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 13:26:11 -0400
> From: heller at deepsoft.com
> To: centos at centos.org
> CC: centos at centos.org
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Having trouble installing flash player on centos 5.3	desktop machine

> > Hi,
> >

> >         I'm having trouble getting the flash player installed onto my centos desktop.
> >
> > When i go to the adobe site, I click on the YUM for Linux version, then install it, and PC says "/tmp/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch-1.rpm is already installed" - but it's not working.
>
> With the yum repo installed, you then need to start a terminal
> (Applications->System Tools->Terminal, I think -- I don't use gnome, so
> I am not sure), then in the terminal window you type:
>
> sudo yum -y install flash_player
>
> Assuming you are loged in as a sudo enabled user (and you really should
> NOT be loged in as root).  Sudo will ask for a password -- enter your
> user's password.
>

> > So then tried downloading the .tar.gz for linux version, and PC asks me which program to open to install it, and i don't have a clue.
> >
> > Then I try downloading the .rpm version for linux, and my pc says "/tmp/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm is already installed", but it's still not working.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks anyone.

> --
> Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
> Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
> heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk
>
>       Hi,

Thanks, I tried your above command logged in as a user, could not get it to install, so I just logged in as
root and it did not seem to work either.  I tried a couple of commands and the below was the output:

[root at localhost tmp]# yum -y install flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm
 * adobe-linux-i386: linuxdownload.adobe.com
 * base: centos.omnispring.com
 * updates: ftp.lug.udel.edu
 * addons: mirrors.unbornmedia.com
 * extras: updates.interworx.info
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Examining flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm: flash-plugin - 10.0.22.87-release.i386
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm: does not update installed package.
Nothing to do

I thought it was a permissions problem and chmod'ed to 700, that did not work either.  Im sure  it's something simple I am missing.