[CentOS] Wake on LAN

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Apr 4 20:58:45 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Has anyone experience with WOL under Centos (5.3).?
> If so, how exactly do you put the machine to sleep,
> and how exactly do you wake it up remotely?

I've never found WOL to work at all well in any environment.

for it to work at all, you need A) network hardware on the client that
supports WOL and remains powered when the system is asleep or
hibernating and B) a method of sending the WOL 'magic bullet' packet to
the MAC address of the target machine.    This means you need to track
the MAC addresses of the system as it won't be awake to ARP.

WOL can wake up the system from power states Off (ACPI state S5),
Hibernate (S4), or Sleep (S3), so as long as you can get or or another
of these states working, and you can get the WOL mechanics working, you
got it.