[CentOS] Update

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:03:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 11:34 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:40 AM, jarmo <oh1mrr at nic.fi> wrote:
> >> I found reason, why update wont go. I have installed much newer
> >> glibc, than what comes with 5.3. I needed that, because of couple
> >> radioamateur progs.
> >> Now have to think, how do I downgrade glibc. If I try remove, there's
> >> over 600 pagages, which have to remove and that's not good.
> >
> > I'm rather surprised that your system is even 'mostly' funcitonal
> > after having updated glibc. It's a core package that nearly everything
> > in the distro requires, and is built against. I'm curious as to why
> > you forced in a glibc update instead of rebuilding radioamateur  to
> > suit the existing glibc?
> Jarmo: If you need the "latest and greatest" stuff, to run the ham
> radio software, this may not be the best distro for you. This is an
> Enterprise distro, which rarely,  if ever, has the "latest and
> greatest". If you break it, you get to keep the pieces. Read  the
> information on the CentOS Wiki, about why not to do what you did and
> how to configure the priorities plugin.   73,  Lanny
My Two CentOS!
It is the latest and greatest for Ham Radio.
Or you can get it from Karans Repo "karan.org"

The average ham want have a clue how to use it on CentOS. I've often
thought about a Wiki Article on it. I'm just waiting on Yaesu FT 9000DX

Hamlib is just that a "Libary" other apps interface with the lib to be
able to use it. If the OP wants a turn key system he look the Debian
Way. It provide everything from logging to radio control.