[CentOS] can't "make" - SOLVED

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:57:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> wrote:

> I asked about 'make' as $ (I recall someone stating on a maillist that $
> could 'make', but # had to 'make install'). Seems that's wrong; I had to
> be root to make.

It's slightly more complicated than that. The 'make' process is
basically a scripted set of commands, usually related to various build
functions, and the permissions required depend on what a given 'make'
command needs to do. You may need to be root to make, because it's
putting things into /lib/modules/`uname -r` which requires root
permissions.

Most files can be (and indeed should be for security reasons) built as
a normal user. It's usually just writing the installed files to the
final destination such as /usr/local/ or in your case /lib/modules/
which requires elevated privileges. Have I made this clearer, or
completely lost you?

George Orwell