[CentOS] vsFTPd and hidden files - standards compliant?

Andrew Hull

list at racc2000.com
Mon Apr 6 21:22:53 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,
I recently received a complaint regarding the vsFTP server I'm running
on a CentOS 4.x box. The complaint was that it is improperly responding
to the LIST command - it is not returning hidden (period prefixed) files
in the directory listing.

I investigated and found that vsFTPd would only return hidden files in
the directory listing when it received the command "LIST -a". Reading
RFC 959, it appears that the LIST command does not officially support
any flags.

I found the "force_dot_files" directive in the vsFTPd config file.
Enabling the directive appears make vsFTPd RFC compliant with regards to
responding to LIST -- returning all files and directories (even "dot
files").

So I guess my question is: can anyone confirm that "LIST -a" really is
contrary to the RFC? If so, does anyone know why $upstream_vendor would
ship a default conf file that is standards non-compliant? Is there
something I'm missing here?

Thanks,
Andy Hull