[CentOS] FreeIPA

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 8 13:34:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 10:24 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > doing some googling, this seems to be about the most current/relevant
> > thing I have found wrt to running freeipa server on CentOS
> >
> > http://howtoforge.com/how-to-build-rhel-ipa-rpms-for-centos-5
> >
> That mostly looks to be a waste of time to me, specially given that Red
> Hat have made it public that FreeIPA might not really ever be a RHEL
> product line, and if it does make it, the packaging format etc will be
> very different from whats out there at the moment.
> And to the idiot who wrote that article on howtoforge : ( how do they
> find such brain dead morons ? ) directly url'ing the testing repo is
> really not recommended.
I just sort of used that as a guideline and used EPEL first, Fedora-10
source second for packages to try to build because of things I noticed
in the changelogs, etc. I managed to get all the requisites handled
except for popt-devel which I discussed but that didn't seem to be the
deal breaker.

Now that I recognize that the current version of freeipa wasn't meant to
be built on RHEL, I will change course because I don't want to make that
my mission if they don't.

believed to be clean.