[CentOS] when to reboot after updates

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu Apr 9 14:31:54 UTC 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009, nate wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > What is the rule of thumb for reboots after updates...
> >
> > Certainly if I update from 5.2 to 5.3 I reboot.
> >
> > But if you update something like krb5 or pam
> > does that require a reboot? Does the "fix" get automatically loaded and
> > used or do you just do a reboot always?
>
> only with new kernels.

If you wan't your new updates to take effect you'll need to restart every
application/daemon that uses a library affected by the update. Rebooting
quickly becomes the easiest way to make sure of that.

It kind of depends on what you wan't. If you're ok with the fact that maybe
some of the updates won't take full effect until the next reboot then fine.

/Peter