[CentOS] Anaconda kickstart laying out / randomly; ignoring --ondisk in part command

Mark Porter

mark.porter at airsetinc.com
Fri Apr 10 06:20:56 UTC 2009

This problem occurred in both CentOS 5.2 and the new (awesome!) 5.3:

I'm using a SuperMicro motherboard with a 6 port NVidia SATA controller on
the motherboard and an 8 port SuperMicro Marvel controller in a slot.

In my kickstart file, I have

part raid.01 . --ondisk=sda .

part raid.02 . --ondisk=sdb .

part raid.03 . --ondisk=sdc .

part raid.04 . --ondisk=sdd .

.

raid / --level=RAID1 --fstype=ext3 --device=md0 raid.01 raid.02 raid.03
raid.04

When I only have 4 drives installed in the system, this works fine.

However, whenever I have more than 4 drives, it seems that anaconda ignores
my --ondisk, and lays out /dev/md0 somewhat randomly across the drives.

In particular, with 8 drives (sda..sdh), with the exact same kickstart file,
it lays out /dev/md0 on drives sda, sdb, sdg and sdh.

with 10 drives (sda..sdj), with the exact same kickstart file, it lays out
/dev/md0 on drives sda, sdh, sdi, sdj.

Does this make sense to anybody?  Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks!

Mark