[CentOS] powernow-k8 in newer centosplus kernel

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Fri Apr 10 20:07:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 11:37 -0400, JohnS wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 12:16 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Mark Pryor wrote:
> > > Using kernel:
> > > 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5.centos.plus
> > > the cpu throttling works as desired (see 2 traces below)
> > > When I update to the newer xx-128.1.6 centosplus kernel all the throttling stops and the box runs at highest speed.
> >
> > This is an issue that came up in the early 5.2 days, and has been
> > recurring since. I lost cpuspeed control on my desktop at home as well (
> > amdx24800/m2n) with the kernel update. Have not started digging into
> > this, but the last time I did upstream blamed it on badly done acpi code
> > in the system BIOS. It *should* now be possible to blacklist the
> > powernow-k8.ko code and let the kernel fallback to using the generic
> > acpi layer again. YMMV.
> ---
> Good thing to know it's just not happening to me also. I also have
> client machines this has affected and my own personal machines. This was
> with the p4-clockmod driver. Motherbords all were Asus. Also affected
> one Celeron machine on an Asus board.
>
> JohnStanley

I have some older socket 604 533 FSB Xeon's with supermicro x5da8
motherboards and I've never gotten any of the power management, or even
the poweroff or suspend command to work with any linux kernel on these
boards.  The bios code could be blamed, but I've booted other OSes that
are capable of doing power management on this board.

In any case, are there particular motherboards, i.e. Intel, Tyan, Asus,
Supermicro and/or brands of systems, i.e. Dell, HP that are known to
work well with CentOS and support power management properly?

Nataraj