[CentOS] flash drive crashes machine

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Mon Apr 13 17:39:57 UTC 2009

nate wrote:
> Sounds like a kernel panic of some kind, either hook up a serial
> console to the system and watch the console from another
> machine or switch back to a normal terminal (CTRL+ALT+<F1>) and
> plug it in and see what you get.
>
> Serial console is best as you can easily copy/paste the crash
> output.
>
> You could also try kdump -
> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-6039

Cool! Thank you.

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I've had this happen when using the front-panel USB ports on a couple
> of different towers.  It does not happen on the same machines using
> the USB ports in the back, leading me to believe that there's a
> physical problem with the front-panel connections; induction from the
> USB to reset wires, or some such.

Well, that's not the case here. I'm using the on-board jack (on the rear).

I could try a USB optical drive, to see if the usb system works (i.e.
hardware, chips, OS).

Btw, that box is at a remote location that I visit about once a month
(thus, it'll be another month till I can check it).