[CentOS] x86_64 server OOM problems after update to 5.3

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:00:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 14:18 -0400, Rick Barnes wrote:

> This is a real hardware server. It is not doing GIS or mapping of the
> like, most of the DBs on this are for web sites, mostly form data
> storage, some CMS DBs for joomla, WP, etc. also some others for cacti
> and powerdns backends.
>
> I have setup some scripts to watch the swap usage to see if I can track
> this down.
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Rick
---
Seeing as you said you upgraded from 5.2 - 5.3 I would be looking at the
kernel release notes and the mysql release notes for known problems
since you did not have prior problems. I would check out the Cacti and
DNS Databases because there more realtime in nature to running on the
server than the content ones. Using the script I posted will catch the
offending query. I myself would take a hard look @ MYSQL itself. There
is a huge debate about it not being Production Ready. Last option would
be to do a yum --allow-downgrade until it's sorted out on a test
machine.

JohnStanley