[CentOS] Building a kernel without kabichk

Terry Hull tah at nrg-inc.com
Tue Apr 14 15:44:21 UTC 2009

On 4/14/09 3:12 AM, in article
bfa89a870904140112s490d223ch440cf009d20e88df at mail.gmail.com, "Akemi Yagi"
<amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Terry Hull <tah at nrg-inc.com> wrote:
>> On 4/13/09 7:01 PM, in article
>> bfa89a870904131701i2afd9b41j78b53b0611a9e462 at mail.gmail.com, "Akemi Yagi"
>> <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The patches I need to make do break kABI.  I just have not yet applied them.
>> I was trying to get the base kernel to build before I added the complexity
>> of patching it.
>>> If the build still fails, please post the last portion of the error
>>> log (or e-mail the whole log file to me).
>> I have attached a compressed log file.  The errors seem to be in the build
>> of OCFS.
> Thanks for the err log file. From the looks of it, the error is in the
> code itself as you noted.  So, that should have nothing to do with
> kABI.
> I checked my own log for the kernel 128.1.6 building but did not see
> anything (warnings and such) relating to ocfs2.  You mentioned " have
> NOT installed any patches that will break KABI".  Have you installed
> any patches at all, that is, patches that do not break kABI ?  If so,
> would any of them touch the ocfs code?
> Akemi

It may also be of note that I've done this on two separate machines.  I
guess I'm a little puzzled by this.  It must be true that very few people
actually have to turn off kABI, or this would have come up before.  I know
that I can turn off ocfs in the .config and see if there is anything else
that does not build correctly.
Terry Hull
Network Resource Group, Inc.