[CentOS] DKMS and new(er) Nvidia-drivers

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Tue Apr 14 17:50:37 UTC 2009

FWIW, I don't use DKMS but this homegrown script instead.  I put
whatever version of the driver I want to deploy (currently NVIDIA-
Linux-x86-180.44-pkg1.run) in a network accessible location and
create a link named NVIDIA-Linux-x86-latest to it.  The script then
handles the rest.

Alfred

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script checks to ensure that the NVIDIA driver has been
# installed (it's needed for every new kernel)

# chkconfig: 345 50 98

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

script=/tmp/nvidia-config-$$.sh
installer=/network/path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-latest

# Function to check if NVIDIA card is present on this system
nvidia_card_present() {
    /sbin/lspci | grep -qi nvidia
    return $?
}

# Function to check if NVIDIA kernel module has been installed
nvidia_module_installed() {
    if [ -r /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ];
then
       return 0
    else
       return 1
    fi
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
    start|restart)
       if nvidia_card_present; then
          if nvidia_module_installed; then
	    action "Configuring NVIDIA driver: " /bin/true
          else
             if [ -x $installer ]; then
                /bin/echo "#!/bin/sh" > $script
	       /bin/echo "$installer -s -X &> /tmp/nvidia-install-\$\$.log
2>&1" >> $script
                /bin/chmod +x $script
	       action "Configuring NVIDIA driver: " $script
	       /bin/rm -f $script
             else
	       action "Configuring NVIDIA driver: " /bin/false
             fi
          fi
       else
	  action "Configuring NVIDIA driver: " /bin/true
       fi
       ;;

    stop)
       # Nothing to do
       ;;

    status)
       if nvidia_card_present; then
	  if nvidia_module_installed; then
	     /bin/echo "The NVIDIA driver has been installed successfully"
	  else
	     /bin/echo "The NVIDIA driver has not been installed successfully"
	  fi
       else
           /bin/echo "The NVIDIA driver is not required on this system"
       fi
       ;;

    *)
       /bin/echo "Usage: `basename "$0"` {start|stop|status|restart}"
       exit 1
esac

exit 0