[CentOS] looking for alternative to SME & Clark Connect

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:38:29 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a (preferably free) alternative to SME / Clark Connect.
> I basically need the following:
> - firewall
> - nat
> - VPN
> - bandwidth limiting / monitoring
> - email (SMTP / POP3 / IMAP) & groupware
> - file & printer sharing
> - RAID support
> - if possible fail-over / high availability support.
> I need to support about 15 - 30 (some part time) students, so I would
> like to keep the costs low. If it's free, so much better. SME works
> for most of the stuff, but it still runs on CentOS 4, and I'd prefer
> to use 5.

What's the problem with clarkconnect? It's not particularly difficult to
  set these functions up yourself starting with a stock Centos if you
intend to maintain them yourself (SME's main attraction is that the
configuration interface is easy enough for anyone to use).  With other
appliance-type distributions you might find it easier to split the
firewall and application services onto different boxes.

ipcop and ebox look somewhat promising.

  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com