[CentOS] Sendmail forwarding external email sent to root

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Apr 16 12:31:22 UTC 2009

Neil Aggarwal wrote on Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:54:13 -0500:

> I guess that facility just does not exist in sendmail.

what facility? Everything Benjamin explained is there.

I'm not getting any email to root at .... on my servers. I suggest you try to
find out where you might have exposed it. Spammers try to avoid sending to
Or, are you sure the mail is *really* sent to root and not to an address
aliased to root? Lots of users (basically all users that were created for
use by a daemon) on the machine are aliased to root.

If it's really spam straight to "root at domain" a simple "root at domain
nouser" in virtusertable or access.db should usually solve the problem as
cron rather sends to "root" or "root at localhost".

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany