[CentOS] Dual-boot with WinXP, CentOS already installed

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Apr 16 15:15:45 UTC 2009

Sorin Srbu wrote on Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:03:53 +0200:

> Generally speaking, which one is the easiest and/or safest if time is an issue
> and you want to things fast and streamlined doing this, grub-install or backup
> and restore MBR. That is assuming I don't screw up when I do either and
> mistype or something.
>
> Or are both things different sides of the same coin kinda' thing?

I think I prefer the grub-install way because it's easier to remember what you
have to do and harder to mistype. Using dd works 100%, though, if done correctly.
Even if there is something wrong with grub-install or grub in the live disk, dd
is hardly affected. But, as I said, if you use two disks and pull the first out
you do not have to reinstall/restore the MBR anyway.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany