[CentOS] Dual-boot with WinXP, CentOS already installed

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Apr 17 07:16:33 UTC 2009

Behalf
>Of Kai Schaetzl
>Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:33 PM
>To: centos at centos.org
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Dual-boot with WinXP, CentOS already installed
>
>Sorin Srbu wrote on Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:35:40 +0200:
>
>> Googled some more. Realised /boot/grub/menu.lst *is* /etc/grub.conf...
Duh!

>You want to change /boot/grub/grub.conf, nothing else !

I've got to read properly... Thx for the headsup.

>> Also some people say it's better to have Windows installed to the first
>> harddrive and the first partition (so that C: is the where it should be
on
>> 1st hd/1st partition).
>
>Doesn't matter.

Apparantely Windows can bork up after a while if the system files aren't on
C:. I was thinking the Windows installer will see the linux partitions and
try to name them C: and D: etc, thus Windows will be installed on E: or F:,
which might not go down well with some programs.

>> Would I be better off disconnecting the drive containing CentOS and
>> reconnect it when I'm done installing Windows. Then boot with CentOS
rescue
>> and reinstall grub to the Windows-hd MBR?
>
>Why? If you want to put them on separate *hardware* then you don't have to
>reinstall anything. Just make sure that the CentOS drive is the first boot
>drive.

Windows drive numbering, see above. This way Windows doesn't see linux at
all.

Can't tell for sure though. I might work anyway. Will have to try out first.

--
/Sorin