[CentOS] DKMS and new(er) Nvidia-drivers

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Apr 17 07:36:30 UTC 2009

Behalf
>Of MHR
>Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:18 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] DKMS and new(er) Nvidia-drivers
>
>I've never seen this problem at all - running AMD 64x2 7750, 4Gb
>memory with GEForce 7200gs card, nvidia driver
>nvidia-x11-drv-173.08-1.beta.el5.rf.x86_64 (from rpmforge - duh).
>I've used a 19" CRT, 17" 1280x1024 flat panel and, currently, 22"
>1680x1050 flat panel (Emprex - cheap, but works great).
>
>I tried the L&G nvidia driver last year some time, but I decided I'd
>rather have the rpmforge working dkms driver than the L&G, even though
>it's a beta driver.  When I upgraded to 5.3, that was the first time
>the driver was actually rebuilt for the kernel since 5.0.

I've mainly seen the lines on my test machines, that more or less get wiped
once or twice a week anyway. Those computers have a Geforce 6200-card, and
the Amd Classic/XP 2000+ cpu.

With Intel I've only seen this happen on a fairly new i7 and a flashy
Geforce XGL 260 IIRC, this was solved with installing the newest proprietary
driver (v180.44) from Nvidia.

These latter machines are only five, so a manual install is doable.  It's
the other older ones we have for the course lab that I'd like to use with
dkms. For most part it works though, and works well. I might just let the
problem machines be and use the working ones primarily. The number of
students taking this course yearly varies wildly anyway. Sometimes we have
computers to spare, sometimes not... I'll just leave it for now.

Thanks for your feedback.
--
/Sorin