[CentOS] 5.3 and XFS (fwd)

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Fri Apr 17 23:34:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Ross Walker wrote:

> Time to format isn't really an issue as it is done once before being
> put into production. The biggest concern is processing performance and
> time to fsck as well as data integrity and recoverability.

Listen, when you're talking a multi TB or PB file system it *is* an issue
I assure you.  With disk sizes growing like they are it is only going to
get worse.  This is a concern for a great many of us.

> Besides XFS allocates inodes on the fly, that's why it's so fast
> formatting, but why ext4 is a little faster processing.

EXT4 is in a few edge cases faster due to this, but XFS is still very fast
in almost all other scenarios despite this.

James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
Phone   : 778-782-6573
Fax     : 778-782-3045
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca