[CentOS] One for the Cisco experts...

David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Apr 21 19:41:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 01:22:07PM -0500, Sean Carolan wrote:

> SNMPv2-SMI::mib- = INTEGER: 389
> Does this mean that the machine is plugged into port 389?  I didn't
> think there were 389 ports on the switch.

<dry>It'd be a very large switch.</dry>

No, it just means it's reachable through interface number 389.  There
is a table somewhere which associates interfance names with
descriptions or even better, the labels which you have hopefully
applied to each interface.  (Brief pause while I dig around in my
wiki and various script directories.)  If you are digging around in
your cisco, I'd try starting with something like .
which on mine returns information like:

nmpwalk -c public -On -v 1 | grep Giga | head
. = STRING: GigabitEthernet1/0/1
. = STRING: GigabitEthernet1/0/2

In your case I'd look at . to see what the
interface was.

Also possibly useful:

- http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/snmp/Switch+Port+Vlans
- http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/snmp/Switch+Port+Labels