[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:48:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 15:40, Dan Roberts <dan at jlazyh.com> wrote:
> # rpm -Uvh --force yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>        rpm >= 0:4.4.2 is needed by yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch
>        rpm-python is needed by yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch
>        yum-fastestmirror is needed by yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch
> Either I am running this in the wrong location, or there is a lot of
> other stuff out of whack.

It looks like your system is closer to 5.2 than 5.3.

In that case, I suggest you try to install this RPM of yum instead:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.2/updates/i386/RPMS/yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1.noarch.rpm

If it still asks about dependencies, you will have to download them
and install/upgrade them manually using RPM.

Look for them here:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.2/os/i386/CentOS/
And here:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.2/updates/i386/RPMS/

Once you get to install yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1, yum should start
working again.

When you got that done, you can try to use it to upgrade again, but
this time I advise you to do it on a screen session from an SSH
connection, and not through Webmin. And do not reboot the server in
the middle of the upgrade, since that is probably what started your
problems in this case.

HTH,
Filipe