[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Dan Roberts dan at jlazyh.com
Wed Apr 22 20:06:40 UTC 2009

Ok - something truly bad appears to have happened.    Yes, I will
concede that cycling the system was a bad thing - but after two hours
it should have returned from the update, still I was bad.

There are indeed updates that it wants - and I went back to the site
to get them, but then things continue to show up as missing.
# rpm -Uvh --force rpm-4.4.2-48.el5.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
	librpm-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-48.el5.i386
	librpmbuild-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-48.el5.i386
	librpmdb-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-48.el5.i386
	librpmio-4.4.so is needed by rpm-4.4.2-48.el5.i386
	popt = 1.10.2 is needed by rpm-4.4.2-48.el5.i386

Clearly I have a pretty big hole here.  Yes I have been spoiled by yum
and rpm.  Years ago I use to command line build, make and install
everything - but dropped that habit in favor of the ease of yum.

Are there are set of core files that seem reasonable to pull and
install -

It is beginning to seem that I may be ahead of the curve to download
the new Centos 5.3 i386 images and install a fresh system on another
hard drive and then move my mail, websites and other relevant files
over.