[CentOS] One for the Cisco experts...

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 23 12:54:03 UTC 2009

> Craig White wrote:
> >
> > Thus far (and admittedly this is premature), I find Zenoss a lot beefier
> > but I spent a ton of time setting it up the first time until I figured
> > things out whereas I spent comparatively no time setting OpenNMS up. But
> > I have learned things along the way, especially getting SNMP set up on
> > everything I could.
>
> Basically, Opennms will auto-discover the ranges you give it, detecting
> an assortment of services and snmp, then automatically poll what it
> discovers on 5 minute intervals and report outages.  You can configure
> thresholds levels in the snmp data to generate alarms.  You have to add
> whatever setup you want for external notificatons - they are off by
> default but you can set up email destinations, a jabber group
> conference, etc.  There are near-infinite other options, of course, but
> that covers most of what you are likely to want.
----
having already done Zenoss, this seemed fairly obvious to me
----

> I found this pdf with a much nicer overview:
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://www.ukuug.org/events/spring2009/programme/introduction-to-opennms.pdf&ei=jNvvSd3xDtTelQfphIDZDA&sig2=7vpdGBzMcZoATeczKIZh7g&usg=AFQjCNEy6gnHrSgQOneREKleuRvgAssmHw
----
downloaded and will check it out after coffee/breakfast - thanks
----
> > This is a Dell PowerConnect 6248 'managed' switch so I would think it
> > could. I enabled monitoring on all of the ports just in case.
>
> I wouldn't be too hopeful without some extra work.  I have a pair of
> Dell 5324's and am not getting the link info, but it works on a bunch of
> different cisco models.  It does collect the bandwidth data from the
> Dells - the rest might be a matter of adding more of the oid trees to
> the 'included' view but the Dell switch management is kind of weird.
>
> Per http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Linkd you need the
> .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.ip.ipNetToMediaTable values.
----
actually, this morning it did indeed show me which device is connected
to each port on the switch, which only shows the servers which run 24/7
and the few workstations that users left on but I gather that it will
collect the rest during the day today. Curiously, there are printers
running that do support snmp that were on all night but didn't register
on the switch. Heck, it gave me connected device info from the Linksys
managed 8 port GB-POE switch that I use for the WAP's. That is useful
and something I can't seem to get done on Zenoss. I don't know if it's a
difference of mib's not being in Zenoss or that they haven't attempted
to give us that type of information about managed switches.
----
> > One thing that is throwing me for a loop is that it says all the
> > Macintosh systems are a 10Mbps SNMP connection but on the Macs
> > themselves, they clearly indicate 1Gbps. This somewhat tracks all of the
> > pain that I have had with SNMP collection on the Macs, which on Zenoss
> > has been less than spectacular.
>
> I hadn't tried a Mac before - the default settings don't look that
> promising.  It should all boil down to getting the oid trees you need
> exposed, though.
>
>  > For example, I get installed software
> > list, total installed memory, total hard drive space, free hard drive
> > space on all Linux and Windows systems but only get total hard drive
> > space and total installed memory on Macs. On Zenoss, I have resorted to
> > ssh collection on Macs because snmp collection just sort of sucks.
>
> Might be a good topic for the opennms list.
----
perhaps but I suspect that Apple isn't all that supportive of providing
mib's for anything other than their servers. I did get mib's off of
another site but then you've got the PPC => Intel stuff and the Intel
stuff hardly seems to report snmp info at all. I gather that there is a
mutual lack of interest between Enterprise and Macintosh.

Craig

believed to be clean.