[CentOS] Reset audio controller w/o rebooting?

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:27:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 08:05 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> As I mentioned on a thread about flash-plugin a few days ago, I'm
> having trouble with my sound device getting "stuck" and thereby
> causing problems for anything that accesses it, like video playback.
>
> Rebooting the machine "fixes" it for a while, but it's unpredictable
> for how long -- sometimes months go by without it recurring, sometimes
> it happens every couple of days.  Right now I'm in one of the latter
> phases.

You do not have to reboot the machine every time it happens! Use the
System Monitor Gnome Applet to kill what ever is using it.

Further more this really seems like a Bug in the way Applications handle
killing processes. Why? I have a Client this happens to often. Exactly
the way you describe.

One idea why it affects my clients machine is it is running 4.7 and is
dog dead slow. Wait 5 minutes and the processes finally exits. In theory
it should exit when the app is closed.

johnStanley