[CentOS] 5.3 on an EeePC??

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Mon Apr 27 19:24:57 UTC 2009

Beartooth wrote:

> 	I have an ASUS EeePC 701 (with 2GB of RAM and an 8 GB card), on
> which I've installed CentOS on the hard-drive-plus-card. But it can't
> even use my eth0.
>
>    Some one on a local LUG, where I had mentioned that other OSs did fine
> with all the same exact hardware, suggested that CentOS, being designed
> for stability rather than the bleeding edge, likely lacks drivers; so I
> need to get some.
>
>    Anybody know what drivers (for wireless as well as ethernet cable) I
> need, and how/where to get ones to fit CentOS??

Why do you want CentOS on an EeePC ? It's not really intended for
that purpose, if your having to ask where to get the drivers for it
your probably not suited for running CentOS on the EeePC. Your better
off with Fedora, or Ubuntu or something that has broader hardware
support.

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix on my EeePC 2G surf yesterday(onto
a 4G SD card), it was pretty painless although the general UI has too much
eye candy, so it is choppy. The wiki says future kernel updates should
address some of the sluggishness.

nate