[CentOS] new install and software raid

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Tue Apr 28 16:42:42 UTC 2009

----- "Jerry Geis" <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason why after a software raid install (from kickstart)
> that md1 is always unclean. md0 seems fine.
>
> boot screen says md1 is dirty and
> cat /proc/mdstat show md1 as being rebuilt.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jerry

> STUFF

md0 is probably your boot partition which is smaller and has very little data written to it. md1 on the other hand is probably your / where all software is installed. Unless you have a very high performance disk controller/drives, you'll usually find that it cannot keep up with initial format of the array, then the subsequent dumping of data to it during installation. Upon reboot, it'll simply restart the sync process and finish happily. I've seen this on nearly every md RAID1 system I install on.

--Tim