[CentOS] USB device not detected (CentOS 4.7)

Bart Schaefer

barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:48:08 UTC 2009

I recently purchased an I/O Magic USB enclosure for 3.5" IDE hard
drive.  Has anyone else used one of these?  It works fine with
Windows, except of course that Windows can't read the ext2 partitions
on the disk I put into the enclosure.  CentOS4 can't find the device,
much less access the drive -- it doesn't show up in "lsusb" output,
although the active light on the enclosure is on solid.  I have other
USB external drives (Maxtor OneTouch and WD MyBook) that work with
CentOS4.

Suggestions appreciated.