[CentOS] Wake On LAN

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 07:19:02 UTC 2009

OK, this is solved now so thought I would post back to the list in
case future users search the archives for the same problem and for
anyone who is interested ;)

Thanks Tony, you answer was partially it. I hadn't correctly enabled
WOL on the NIC card:

> I don't know about your Dell, but on my HP ML110 servers, I had to add
> a line to ifcfg-eth0 to make ethtool tell the LAN port to enable the
> wake-on-lan function:
>
> ETHTOOL_OPTS="wol g"
>
> You will need to take the interface down and up after adding the line.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Also the other problem was I was using a dual Gigabit NIC, in
particular I was using the 2nd port, but it turns out WOL only works
on the first port! Just in case anyone finds them self's in a similar
situation!

Many thanks,
James ;)