[CentOS] Update notification

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 10:44:00 UTC 2009

> On 4/28/09, lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
> <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >  CentOS 5.3
> >
> >  New updates available used to be flagged in the (Gnome) desktop
> > notification
> >  area, but I don't get them any longer. What could be the problem?
> >
> >  yum-updatesd is set up with the default configuration (dbus), and on the
> >  machines I changed the notification to email, I do indeed receive these
> >  emails.
>
> I thought I might have done something that caused me not to receive
> notifications from PUP or Pirut, after the upgrade from CentOS 5.2 to
> 5.3 (32 bit)......   I am not getting those notification popups in
> GNOME either!

I also have stopped getting notifications of updates on the desktop
after the upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3
Also yum-updatesd sometimes reports "failed" on shutdown

The only other symptom is that if i login to the desktop if i open up
a terminal and do "yum update" then there is a process that has lock
through the yum pid but this goes away much more quickly than it used
to.

no big deal in any way, just a bit odd

mike