[CentOS] Rsync/SSH automation problem?

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Apr 29 16:36:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009, James Bensley wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have a win2k3 server that its backing up to a CentOS 5.3 server. On
>the Win2k3 machine I plan to have rsync back up nightly to the CentOS
>server through ssh. The command I am using is as follows:
>
>rsync -vrPtz -e ssh myuser at myserver:/remote/backup/folder/ /local/backup/folder/
>
>This all works great for the inital test except its prompts me for a
>password for "myuser" (as you would except) but how can I embed the
>password for ssh into the command line? Or can I not?

We use rsync modules, hostname::modulename, extensively for
things like this as they can restrict the remote host to specific
directories, and IP address/CIDR block ranges without using ssh.

For things like rsync dns updates of djbdns/tinydns data files,
this can be done without encryption.  Where the data is
sensitive, doing the update over OpenVPN tunnels works nicely.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.
  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson