[CentOS] Directory and File Perms

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 22:44:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 14:30 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >I have a directory shared out via Samba for Quickbooks and seem
> >to have some issues with permissions. The directory being shared
> >is a subdirectory in an ext3 partition being mounted with the acl
> >option.
> >
> >It has been setup as follows:
> >     chown root:DOMAIN\AD_Group /mnt/Intuit_Data/
> >     chmod 2770 /mnt/Intuit_Data/
> >
> >And the Samba share config is has:
> >     create mask = 0660
> >     directory mask = 0770
> >
> >So when a user creates a file from their Windows box through Explorer
> >or any other app, it gets perms as you might expect:
> >     -rw-rw---- 1 Domain+jcasale DOMAIN+AD_Group       0 Apr 29 14:24 test.txt
> >and it can be deleted by anyone.
> >
> >Problem is QB uses gamin and this file monitoring daemon runs as root
> >and all sorts of changes take place as you work with the data, from creating
> >the company file to editing it in QB, it ends up slowly changing to 0400?
> You probably want to look at the ``force user'' and/or ``force group''
> share settings in Samba (or look for a Real Accounting(tm) package in place
> of QB :-).
> Bill
I don't think that would even solve the problem because gamin reports to
QB and then QB makes the changes as per the FAM docs which is the older
of gamin.

There is no explicit docs on gamin on the gnome site. They refer to FAM
as the per the documentation.

Question: Did QB give you documentation on how to set it under Linux?