[CentOS] Apache SSL key pass phrase question

Fri Apr 3 19:14:02 UTC 2009
Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>

I just set up a secure server.

Followed the godaddy instructions for key generation/installation - and
the server wanted my pass phrase to start.

When I started developing I followed instructions for a self signed cert
and everything went dandy.

Anyway - after a little googling and an uneasy feeling that I messed up
and godaddy might charge me a fee to resubmit for a new cert, I found
the following solution -

openssl rsa -in secure.shastaherps.key.old -out secure.shastaherps.key

After running that and entering my pass phrase, no pass phrase is
required to start the server and it seems like the browsers don't
complain, so I think I'm set, but I thought I'd verify that all really
is well and that doing that isn't going to cause any issues.

If I understand it correctly, the phrase was needed when Apache starts
in order to decrypt the key, and all I did above was decrypt the key so
that apache doesn't have to, correct?