[CentOS] Threading and CentOS mailing list digest

Fri Apr 17 18:39:50 UTC 2009
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:

> John R Pierce wrote on Fri, 17 Apr 2009 04:34:49 -0700:
>> > odder, I don't see a "In-Reply-To:" header, so I dunno HOW it appears
>> > threaded just fine.
>>

> It's been put in the thread according to the time sequence because the
> header you mention is missing. So, it just *appears* to be threaded, but
> the node where it gets put as a reply is random (here it is put as a reply
> to me, that is why I noticed there is something wrong). That header is
> missing from all of David's postings, now that I look, and he's been using
> several older versions of Thunderbird which can't all be broken. So, I
> assume he's using a broken mail gateway which strips these headers.
>
> Kai
Rather than continue to hijack the original thread regarding dual
booting, let's move this discussion to it's own thread.

The version of T-Bird I use is *always* the current version for CentOS.
My mailer is sendmail again kept to the current version for CentOS.  I
somehow doubt that either are broken.

What is happening is I get the CentOS mailing list in digest form.  That
is, I get one e-mail each day with all of the previous day's posts.  If
I notice a topic that I feel I can contribute to, I cut and paste an
appropriate e-mail from the digest and "reply" to the list setting the
subject appropriately (i.e., "Re: <original subject>).  This is somewhat
of a pain but it is more than made up for by the convenience of getting
the list traffic in digest form.

Your complaint is the first I've heard that this creates a problem for
anyone.  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to set the "in reply to" mail
header element though T-Bird.  If anyone has a reasonable (meaning
doesn't take significantly more of my time than my current approach)
alternative, I'm more than wiling to change how I'm posting.  Giving up
getting the list traffic in digest form is not acceptable.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce