[CentOS] bash_logout

Wed Apr 1 16:17:54 UTC 2009
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Paul A <razor at meganet.net>
> Hi, I was searching for the system wide bash_logout and couldn’t
> find any documentation on it.
> If I create a file ~/.bash_logout file it gets executed when
> the user logs out but when I create a system wide /etc/bash_logout it doesn’t
> work.
> Not what the issue is since I couldn’t find anything
> on that.

The bash man page does not mention any global logout file...

FILES
       /bin/bash
              The bash executable
       /etc/profile
              The systemwide initialization file, executed for login shells
       ~/.bash_profile
              The personal initialization file, executed for login shells
       ~/.bashrc
              The individual per-interactive-shell startup file
       ~/.bash_logout
              The  individual  login shell cleanup file, executed when a login
              shell exits
       ~/.inputrc
              Individual readline initialization file

You could modify the one in /etc/skels but it would only apply to new users, and can be changed by them later...
Or, you could chown/chmod the ~/.bash_logout and put '. ~/.bash_logout.user' in it...

JD