[CentOS] Nvidia driver on CentOS 5.3

Thu Apr 2 05:29:24 UTC 2009
Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>

Ed Donahue wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>> Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just installed their NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.44-pkg2 driver. I had it
>>> running on my CentOS 5.2 x64 machine, and I'm happily surprised that it
>>> builds and runs okay on 5.3 also.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Timo
>> I'm still using 169.12 - it continues to work fine in 5.3.
>> I probably should update it, but it don't seem broke to me ...
>>

> Do you use an email group to get notified of a new driver?
> I've been on 100.14.19 until I saw your email, boy, I missed a few updates :).

Nah - I use to check rpm.livna.org and grab their src.rpm to mutilate
for CentOS whenever a new driver was released, but it's been awhile -
last year or so I have just been modifying the kernel version in the
spec file.

I suppose I should move to the new way that relinks it automagically
when new kernel is released, I don't know - I'm fine with the kernel
version specific kmod- way.

I don't do a lot in the way of games, google earth is about as hard as I
push the driver. I do wish there was a quality open source 3D driver in
the kernel, like I had for my VooDoo3 way way back when.