[CentOS] [OT] Godaddy hell...

Fri Apr 3 19:20:53 UTC 2009
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

Jason Pyeron wrote:

>> It's possible to
>> install some kinds of software without root access,
>
> We will only need to push our "web application"

Are we talking about PHP or similar?  In that case, you probably don't
need root access.  I wouldn't really call that "installing software".  I
reserve that term for stuff that typically lives under /usr or /opt.

If we're talking about anything that needs to be compiled and can't run
from either /home or cgi-bin, I think we're back to root access or fully
managed hosting.

>> Everyone's pushing you to one of the VPS providers because
>> that's what all the cool kids are doing now that VM
>> technology is commoditized.
>
> I do not have an opinion on this.

Better get one.  VM technology is only going to become more pervasive.
If you think you don't have any use for VMs, you're probably wrong. :)
There's nowhere I use computers that I don't use VMs, now.

> Not willing to take responsibility, but willing to pay for it.

How much?  Fully managed hosting usually starts well North of $100 a month.